While hydraulic connections that incorporate an O-ring face seal are the most reliable against leakage, it can still happen. Yet the cause is rarely the fitting itself. The primary contributors to system leaks and how often they occur include:
- Improper installation: 60%
- Poor system design: 20%
- Quality of components: 15%
- System abuse: 5%
While causes of leakage are usually distinguishable after the fact, the result can be costly. Not just to equipment and downtime, but the loss of fluid can be significant. Consider an operation running 24-hours-a-day and hydraulic oil at $25 per gallon, the cost of leaking fluid alone can add up:
- 1 drop every 1 minute = 50 gallons per year = $1,250
- 1 drop every 10 seconds = 300 gallons per year = $7,500
- 1 drop every 5 seconds = 600 gallons per year = $15,000
- 1 drop every second = 3,000 gallons per year = $75,000
ORFS Fittings are the best line of defense against costly fluid leaks.
This blog is an excerpt from our latest whitepaper, 5 Things You Should Know About O-Ring Face Seal Fittings. Click here or the link below to download your free whitepaper!
If you're interested in our line of O-Ring Face Seal Fittings, click here to download our catalog.
You can also view our product collection on our website by clicking here.
Primary Sources Include:
- Flow Technology
- Hydraulics & Pneumatics
- Mobile Hydraulic Tips
- OEM Off-Highway
- Pumps & Systems
- SAE International
- Windpower Engineering & Development